Author: Tricia Copeland
Narrator: Amy Deuchler
Length: 8 hours 37 minutes
Series: Kingdom Journals, Book 2
Publisher: True Bird Publishing LLC
Genre: Fantasy; YA
They told her she was sick. But her visions are much more than mental illness… Seventeen-year-old Camille worries her mind will never be normal. Diagnosed schizophrenic, she hopes a month-long teen treatment program at an Icelandic camp could be the cure she needs. But far from being ill, Camille is stunned to find out she has supernatural abilities… As she and a new friend learn to harness their powers, she’s disturbed by sinister behaviors among the teaching staff. So when their fathers mysteriously vanish, she fears her magical initiation could end up as a battle for survival. Will Camille unlock her extraordinary gifts in time to rescue her dad? Kingdom of Darkness is the second book in the engrossing Kingdom Journals YA urban fantasy series. If you like strong heroines, powerful witchcraft, and treacherous quests, then you’ll love Tricia Copeland’s twisted tale. Buy Kingdom of Darkness to expose a phenomenal world today!
Tricia Copeland grew up in a hot, sticky, rural south Georgia town where pine trees and alligators ruled the landscape. Since then she’s moved west to the purple mountain majesties of Colorado. Her books span from the dystopian, paranormal, and fantasy, to coming-of-age and new adult romance genres. You can find more about her and all her books at triciacopeland.com. Sign up for her audiobook newsletter here: https://lp.constantcontactpages.com/su/wsbKeeX/audiobooksplease
Amy is a Chicago-based voice artist and actor specializing in audiobook narration, e-learning, and radio or TV commercials. Amy is professionally trained in commercial and narration voiceover and holds a Bachelor’s degree in Theatre from Marquette University and a Master’s degree in Library and Information Science from University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. In her spare time, Amy also enjoys reading, painting, designing lights and scenery for theatre, and biking. She lives with her boyfriend and their three cats just north of Chicago.
- Alena – (pronounced Uh-LEE-nuh) – Alena tells the story of how she, a seventeen year-old vampire-witch hybrid, must hide her identity from everyone, human, witch, and vampire alike because creatures like her are forbidden by vampire and witch laws. She is desperate to figure out what her mother is looking for and in the process meets Hunter, an imaginary friend from age four. Hunter and she embark on a mission to discover how they knew they interacted as children. They find they are the key to releasing a curse on witch souls damning them to purgatory.
- Hunter – Seventeen year-old Hunter has no clue he is a witch, but there is no doubt in his mind that he knew Alena as a child. Once she reveals that witches do exist and helps him awaken his powers, he commits to figuring out what his purpose is and why they were able to interact as preschoolers.
- Theron – Seventeen year-old vampire-witch hybrid, Theron, may be the only other being like Alena. He is wild and reckless and Alena is drawn to his energy. But there is also something dark and sinister about him. Questions arise as Alena learns Theron is Hunter’s half-brother.
- Thanatos – A centuries old witch and High Priest of the Witch Lines, he is father to Hunter and Theron.
- Anne – Alena’s vampire mother and Vampire Chancellor, she will do everything in her power to protect her daughter.
Q&A with Author Tricia Copeland
- Tell us about the process of turning your book into an audiobook.
- I search for two years to find the right narrator for this story. Frustrated, I’d almost given up. Last fall at a book con, Amy stopped by my table and introduced herself. I spoke with her for a few minutes and afterwards looked up her work. I loved what I heard and contacted her immediately to talk about starting the narration. After the gave her the manuscript and character list, she sent me a six minute clip. I was hooked! I wanted more! I loved listening to my words come to live. I also thrive on learning new things so while daunting, I feel so empowered by all I’m learning about the audiobook industry.
- Was a possible audiobook recording something you were conscious of while writing?
- In the future I think I will be more conscious of names and pronunciations. I will be more clear on how a name is pronounced to ensure ease of transition between ebook or paper copies and the audio versions.
- How closely did you work with your narrator before and during the recording process? Did you give them any pronunciation tips or special insight into the characters?
- My narrator read the manuscript and gave me a list of questions. I also provided her with a character bio sheet with a bit of history as to age, ethnicity, gender, etc. of my characters.
- How do you manage to avoid burn-out? What do you do to maintain your enthusiasm for writing?
- Interacting with readers and authors keep me excited and motivated. I love chatting about books, characters, plot, and hearing feedback and future ideas for my work.
- Are you an audiobook listener? What about the audiobook format appeals to you?
- I love that I can listen to an audiobook almost anywhere. Listening to books and podcasts helps me get through mundane chores like laundry and cleaning, dishes and cooking.
- What do you say to those who view listening to audiobooks as “cheating” or as inferior to “real reading”?
- I don’t feel like audiobooks are cheating at all. I love the technology because I can listen in the car, on a run, or while doing chores.
- In your opinion, what are the pros and cons of writing a stand-alone novel vs. writing a series?
- I love both stand alones and series. I try to wrap up each of my series books so it can act as a stand alone as well as add a little bit of a OMG, what’s next! If I fall in love with characters and a storyline it’s hard to let them go. I’m always sad when I finish writing a book because I miss my characters.
- What’s your favorite:
- Food – pizza
- Song – there are so many, anything with a good beat and inspiring lyrics keeps me grooving
- Book – Twilight, Cassandra Clare, Kristin & P.C. Cast, The Crystal Cave, Gone with the Wind, I love paranormal fantasy, light sci-fi, and dystopian, and when I’m feeling tired a good sweet romance
- Television show – The Vampire Diaries, Reign, The Originals, iZombie
- Movie – love rom com The Holiday, Love Actually, Twilight movies
- Band – Bastille, The Fray, Imagine Dragons, Twenty-One Pilots
- Sports team – not a huge sports fan but always go back to my roots, GT Jackets
- City – Wow! Hard one – I loved NYC when I visited with friends and plan on visiting New Orleans this year, love Savannah, and Denver
Plugging you into the audio community since 2016.
Sign up as a tour host here.